We all know that exercising should be a part of our daily routine, but sometimes forking out the money for a gym membership is out of the question. So, how do you get your workout in without the ease of the gym and all the equipment and classes it has to offer?
- Take a jaunt outside. All your cardio can be performed outside rather than on a machine at the gym. So, walking, running, biking, swimming, rowing, hiking, etc., that can all be done from the comfort of your own home (or a short distance from it). Granted, it may be a bit harder to motivate yourself to get out and do it, but if you’re serious about saving money and staying healthy, then take your workout outside for more benefits than just physical activity. Getting some fresh air will boost your vitamin D, which improves your mood and helps with weight loss.
- Invest in equipment. In the short term, investing in your own exercise equipment like a treadmill, weights, or your own home gym might sound outrageous. But if you’re all about staying healthy for the long haul, using your own equipment rather than paying to visit the top fitness facility will definitely even out in the long run. Plus, you’ll have the equipment in the comfort of your own home, allowing you to workout whenever the urge strikes.
- Pool your resources. If you aren’t sure about investing in a bunch of equipment (especially all at once), find other health conscious and saving savvy friends to team up with. Select a good location (a group member’s garage), and compile all of your exercise equipment. If you invest in one piece of exercise equipment, and someone invests in another, you’ll soon have a whole weight and exercise room at your disposal for a fraction of the cost.
- Buy used. Purchasing used exercise equipment is definitely wise as long as you know what to look for. Just do your research, avoid impulsive buys, and only buy something you know you’ll use on a regular basis. If you’re careful with your purchase, you can save thousands of dollars.
- Use YouTube. There are so many resources that you can stream online workouts from for free! Using a DVD (for free from the library) or an online exercise video will help you get in that good workout without paying top dollar for a personal trainer.
It is possible to be physically fit and healthy without a gym membership, you just have to keep an eye out for new and creative ideas. How do you stay fit and maintain your healthy lifestyle without the ease of a gym?
Randi Upshaw is a health and fitness enthusiast who likes to share her passion with others through writing.