The black cohosh root has been found to have the some effects similar to the female hormone estrogen. Depending on the person using it, black cohosh extract might increase the effects of estrogen or it might decrease the effects of estrogen.
This all happens because of an active constituent of the black cohosh root, triterpenes, attaches itself to your body's estrogen receptors – balancing the estrogen levels up or down as needed. Black cohosh however, should not be thought as “herbal estrogen” or a substitute for estrogen – it does come with some side effects when used wrongly.
Black cohosh extract has been used to treat symptoms of many typical female conditions like:
- premenstrual syndrome (or also known as PMS).
- dysmenorrhea (or painful menstruation).
- acnes (to be fair, not just typical for women).
- osteoporosis (or weakened bones).
- and for starting labor in pregnant women.
One of the most awesome medicinal property that black cohosh includes, is that it gives a boost to the immune system, acting as an ally in your fight against diseases. This video about black cohosh is a very good overview of what you need to know about it:
What Is Black Cohosh Extract?
Black cohosh or actaea racemosa is a species of a flowering plant of the family Ranunculaceae. Black cohosh is a native from eastern North America from the extreme south of Ontario to central Georgia and west to Missouri and Arkansas. It's a smooth herbaceous perennial plant that produces large, compound leaves from an underground rhizome. The leaves form repeated sets of three leaflets that have a coarsely toothed margin. From the root we get the black cohosh extract, which is used in oils and pills by many brands all over the world.
Black Cohosh Extract Available At Amazon
There is a whole product range to chose from, and if you're in need of black cohosh, Amazon has a good selection:
- Oregon’s Wild Harvest Black Cohosh – for menopausal an perimenopausal support for women’s health
- Nature’s way Black Cohosh Root – which is a premium herbal and for women with mild estrogen activity.
- Spring Valley – Black Cohosh Menopause Complex Daytime and Nightime Advanced formula – that reliefs of menopause symptoms.